On February 28, 1966, the Kettler brothers broke ground for the first house in Montgomery Village. The first model homes were opened in Lakeside of Whetstone in August 1967. In September, more opened in the Clusters of Stedwick. The Montgomery Village Golf Club also opened in September of that year. The first residents of Montgomery Village moved in on September 25, 1967 in Goshenside. They were the Bartik family. Also on the same day, the Crosby family moved into a home on Whetstone Drive.Montgomery Village was created in 1962 by Kettler Brothers, Inc. The vision for a planned community in Gaithersburg is credited to architect Charles Kettler, who incorporated Kettler Brothers with his brothers Milton and Clarence in 1952. The first land purchase was the Walker Farm in 1962. subsequent purchases were the Thomas Farm, The Mills Farm, The French Farm, The Patton Farm, The Fulks Farm, The Wilson Farm and The James Walter Deppa property. The Walker Farm was the largest of all the properties the Kettlers bought. It was 412 acres (1.67 km2) and now is Walkers Choice, Cider Mill, Horizon Run, Christopher Court, Dockside, Nathan’s Hill, Millrace, the Montgomery village Library, Montgomery Village Day-Care Center, the Off-Price Centers, Bayberry, the Verandahs, Grover’s Forge, Lake Whetstone, South Valley Park and part of Lakeforest Mall.
The Montgomery Village Foundation was incorporated in 1966. In 1968, the Whetstone Community Center opened as well as Whetstone Elementary and Montgomery Village Middle schools. In 1970, The Village Mall opened, which is now the Village Shopping Center on Montgomery Village Avenue. Then in 1971, the Holiday Inn opened. In 1973, bus service toWashington, D.C. began. In 1998, Montgomery Village began using its own zip code, 20886.
Although Montgomery Village is an unincorporated area, its boundaries are defined according to Montgomery County zoning rules and by its own unique zipcode. Montgomery Village uses Gaithersburg addresses even though the village is outside city limits. Montgomery Village is recognized by the U.S. Census Bureau as a Census-designated Place, and by theUnited States Geological Survey as a populated place located at 39°10′35″N 77°11′34″W (39.176469, -77.192654).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the place has a total area of 6.5 square miles (17 km2), of which, 6.5 square miles (17 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.46%) is water.
As of the 2000 U.S. Census, there were 38,051 people, 14,142 households, and 9,729 families residing in the area. The population density was 5,875.1 people per square mile (2,267.2/km²). There were 14,548 housing units at an average density of 2,246.2 per square mile (866.8/km²). The ethnic makeup of the area was 38.1% White, 23.2% African American, 0.2% Native American, 10.7% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 0.5% from other races, and 2.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 24.0% of the population.
There were 14,142 households out of which 36.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.5% were married couples living together, 12.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.2% were non-families. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.21.
In the area, the population was spread out with 26.6% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 35.4% from 25 to 44, 23.5% from 45 to 64, and 7.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 90.9 males. For every 100 females age 21 and over, there were 87.7 males.
The median income for a household in the area was $66,828, and the median income for a family was $74,920 (these figures had risen to $89,601 and $97,837 respectively as of a 2008 estimate). Males had a median income of $50,046 versus $38,665 for females. The per capita income for the area was $29,620. About 3.9% of families and 7.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.6% of those under age 18 and 3.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Watkins Mill Elementary
- Laytonsville Elementary
- Stedwick Elementary
- Goshen Elementary
- Whetstone Elementary
- Summit Hall Elementary
- South Lake Elementary
- Montgomery Village Middle School
- Gaithersburg Middle School
- Neelsville Middle School
- Forest Oak Middle School
For more information about Montgomery Village, visit its Wikipedia page.
Montgomery Village Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in Montgomery Village
- 20228 DARLINGTON DR Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 19439 BRASSIE PL, Unit 103 Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 10223 RIDGELINE DR Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 20515 STERNCROFT CT Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 18109 ROYAL BONNET CIR Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 19021 MILLS CHOICE RD, Unit 3 Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 8209 DRY RIDGE RD Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 18629 PIER POINT PL Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 9731 HELLINGLY PL, Unit 37 Montgomery Village, MD 20879
- 18917 SMOOTHSTONE WAY, Unit 18917I-6 Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 18713 WALKERS CHOICE RD, Unit 4 Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 8400 BURCHAP DR Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 10264 WILD APPLE CIR Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 20626 HIGHLAND HALL DR Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 9990 FOREST VIEW PL Montgomery Village, MD 20886
Sold Listings in Montgomery Village
- 8658 Delcris Dr Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 18829 Nathans Pl Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 19307 Thomas Farm Rd Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 9414 Fern Hollow Way Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 9551 Fern Hollow Way Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 18905 Smoothstone Way #6 Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 18472 Bishopstone Ct #242 Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 18138 Royal Bonnet Cir Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 18626 Nathans Pl Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 18710 Pier Point Pl Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 9402 Amboy Rd Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 19803 Ivyberry Pl Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 9809 Canal Rd Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 20705 Highland Hall Dr Montgomery Village, MD 20886
- 8804 Dowling Park Pl Montgomery Village, MD 20886
Walk Score for Montgomery Village
Montgomery Village School Data
Montgomery Village School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
Montgomery Village Schools
- Montgomery Village Middle School
- 6-8, public
- Stedwick Elementary School
- PK-5, public
- Watkins Mill Elementary School
- PK-5, public
- Watkins Mill High School
- 9-12, public
- Village Montessori School
- PK-2, private
- Ets Chaiyim School
- K-12, private
- Living Grace Christian School
- 1-9, private