As an unincorporated area, Darnestown’s boundaries are not officially defined. Darnestown is, however, recognized by the United States Census Bureau as a Census-designated Place, and by the United States Geological Survey as a populated place located at 39°6′5″N 77°16′52″W (39.101429, -77.281236).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the place has a total area of 17.7 square miles (46 km2), of which, 16.6 square miles (43 km2) of it is land and 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2) of it (6.27%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,378 people, 2,038 households, and 1,830 families residing in the area. The population density was 384.6 people per square mile (148.5/km²). There were 2,064 housing units at an average density of 124.5/sq mi (48.1/km²). The racial makeup of the area was 85.06% White, 3.95% African American, 0.25% Native American, 7.92% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.58% from other races, and 2.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.23% of the population.
There were 2,038 households out of which 47.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 83.3% were married couples living together, 4.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.2% were non-families. 7.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.13 and the average family size was 3.29.
In the area, the population was spread out with 30.7% under the age of 18, 4.5% from 18 to 24, 25.5% from 25 to 44, 31.8% from 45 to 64, and 7.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 98.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.0 males.
The median income for a household in the area was $173,326, and the median income for a family was $190,608. Males had a median income of $120,476 versus $89,958 for females. The per capita income for the area was $85,466. About 1.5% of families and 2.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.0% of those under age 18 and 5.2% of those age 65 or over.
Named for William Darnes, the community was built on 2,000 acres (810 ha) of land inherited by his wife from her father Charles Gassway’s ‘Mount Pleasant’ land grant. Originally, the town was referred to as Mount Pleasant, but the name shifted in popular parlance to Darnes and eventually Darnestown. The community was located halfway between Montgomery Court House (modern-day Rockville) and the mouth of the Monocacy River, and originally consisted of a tavern, a pair of blacksmiths, a wheelwright, a single store, and a log building which served as both a school and the home of several churches. The community’s greatest economic boom was during the Civil War, when providing for the needs of the armies camped around Washington, DC provided new income. Following the war, however, Darnestown slowly deflated and eventually ceased being a commercial center, with only a few of the original buildings left standing. The area has since been absorbed by suburban development.
For more information on Darnestown, visit its Wikipedia page.
Darnestown Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in Darnestown
- 14817 KELLEY FARM DR Darnestown, MD 20874
- 15010 WHITETAIL WAY Darnestown, MD 20878
- 14958 FINEGAN FARM DR Darnestown, MD 20874
- 14825 KELLEY FARM DR Darnestown, MD 20874
- 13213 WYE OAK DR Darnestown, MD 20878
- 14959 FINEGAN FARM DR Darnestown, MD 20874
- 13111 MILLHAVEN PL, Unit L Darnestown, MD 20878
- 14040 ESWORTHY RD Darnestown, MD 20874
- 13321 MANOR STONE DR Darnestown, MD 20874
- 14101 BERRYVILLE RD Darnestown, MD 20874
- 14700 SENECA RD Darnestown, MD 20874
Sold Listings in Darnestown
- 11928 Darnestown Rd #C Darnestown, MD 20878
- 15613 Ancient Oak Dr Darnestown, MD 20878
- 13145 Scarlet Oak Dr Darnestown, MD 20878
- 18105 Parreco Farm Dr Darnestown, MD 20878
- 14707 Mockingbird Dr Darnestown, MD 20874
- 15001 Spring Meadows Dr Darnestown, MD 20874
- 12909 Riffle Ford Ct Darnestown, MD 20878
- 13309 Scottish Autumn Ln Darnestown, MD 20878
- 15117 Water Oak Dr Darnestown, MD 20878
- 13111 Millhaven Pl #4-D Darnestown, MD 20878
- 13415 Queenstown Ln Darnestown, MD 20878
Walk Score for Darnestown
Darnestown School Data
Darnestown School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
- Mary Of Nazareth School
- PK-8, private
- Thomas Jefferson Preparatory School
- PK-8, private